Thursday 7 January 2010

Women 'too busy' to go for cancer screenings

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8443688.stm

But where is shaming language, where are the insults, where are arguments that women are the weaker sex because they can't get themselves to the doctor?


When the media reports about men not going to the doctor it's more like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8154200.stm

Medical services are only available during normal working hours, but this is only briefly mentioned.

The rest is 'men are too scared', 'men are too embarassed', 'men take risks', 'men should learn from women'.

From the comments:
"As I hit my 40s I requested a "well man" check from my GP. Duly arranged I
turned up and I was weighed and my blood pressure taken.
"Was that it?"
"Well, do you have any questions?"
No cholesterol checks, no lifestyle questionnaire, no liver function test, no testicle or prostate exam, nothing. I could have done it at home myself. A complete waste of time and
money. When I worked in Japan EVERY public sector worker had a full work up
every year - admittedly this was overkill - barium meals and x-rays - but
some half-way house is surely needed. "

"Frankly, if you're a male of working age, doctors also assume there can be
little wrong with you. I asked for a general check-up when I reached 40, and as
well getting a slightly frosty response, was asked "well, do YOU think there's
anything wrong?" It's not embarrassment, it's being made to feel you're wasting
the time of NHS staff."

When men do try to use the health service, when they try to look after themselves, they don't get help they get ignored, or belittled or told-off for not going to the doctor sooner.

Another example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8097639.stm
"women take better care of themselves"
""Men have a reputation for having a 'stiff upper lip' and not being as health conscious as women. "
"We know that around half of all cancers could be prevented by changes to lifestyle and it's worrying that this message could be falling on deaf ears for men."

No comments:

Post a Comment